The Miller Information Commons’
“Meaningful Books” series highlights
Tuesday, February 24th at Noon.
Miller Information Commons, Vista Room
Becky is in her 22nd year at Champlain and is currently the Registrar. For 16 years, she worked as a Counselor in Student Life. She has also led the Music Makers group at Champlain for 12 years. When she is not at work, there is a good chance that Becky is either singing, practicing yoga, or reading.
Becky clearly remembers when, at 7 years old, her father took her to the public library to get her first library card. Reading opened up a whole new world to her, and since that day, Becky has made frequent pilgrimages to the public library wherever she has lived.
Becky enjoys the serendipity involved in finding just the right book to read in the present and then looking back years later and seeing the ways books have connected with each other and with her life as it has evolved. Selecting this list of meaningful books has been a real “trip down memory lane” for Becky, and she looks forward to sharing what she discovered along the way.
Here's a list of Becky's Meaningful Books:
1. Little Women Louisa May Alcott
2. Anne of Avonlea L. M. Montgomery
3. The Diary of a Young Girl Anne Frank
4. Jane Eyre Charlotte Bronte
5. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone JK Rowling
6. Elements of Style E.B. White
7. Dubliners James Joyce
8. The Snow Leopard Peter Mathiessen
9. Selected Poems of Langston Hughes Langston Hughes
10. Pilgrim at Tinker Creek Annie Dillard
11. Living the Good Life Helen and Scott Nearing
12. The Moosewood Cookbook Mollie Katzen
13. The Second Sex Simone De Beauvoir
14. Enormous Changes at the Last Minute Grace Paley
15. Peace Is Every Step Thich Nhat Hanh
16. The Color of Water James McBride
17. Paul Robeson Martin Duberman
18. Having Our Say Sarah and A.Elizabeth Delany with Amy Hill Hearth
19. Me Talk Pretty One Day David Sedaris
20. Anam Cara John O'Donohue
21. Signs of Life: A Memoir of Dying and Discovery Tim Brookes
Join us on Tuesday to hear the story behind the books.
Monday, February 23, 2009
Monday, February 16, 2009
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
The library has both a Lincoln and Darwin book display up in the entrace and at the desk. Check out these monumentous historical figures. We have also made a video in celebration of the occasion.