Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Not the Healthiest?

I posted yesterday that Burlington was the healthiest city in the U.S. But a few hours later my friend e-mailed me this article from Web MD saying that Lincoln, Nebraska was the healthiest. It says that the other rankings were derived from 2006 CDC figures.

This makes a good information literacy point. It is easy to "prove" things based on some article, but that does not make it true. If someone only looked at my previous blog post or the original CNN or Burlington Free Press article, they would only get one side of the story.

It is important to question our information. Don't just accept what CNN says or Web MD says, look at the CDC numbers for yourself. In this case it is not terribly important but in others it may be. Question the info that is given to you, and don't simply take things for granted.

And who cares if we are #4 or #1? We're still in exceptional health, and I think I would rather live here than Nebraska.

No comments: